Library - The House of St Gregory and St Macrina
The Library in the House of St Gregory and St Macrina constitutes an important collection of books and periodicals on the history, doctrine and worship of the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Churches. It has a particular strength in the fields of Patristics, Byzantine and Syriac studies. The core is the collection of Rev. Derwas Chitty (1901-1971). Fr. Derwas is best known as the author of The Desert a City, the classic study of Egyptian and Palestinian monasticism. The collection reflects his interests in early monasticism, the Desert Fathers and early Palestine.
The Library continues to acquire editions of Early Christian texts in their original languages including Armenian, Syriac and Greek. Some translations and relevant reference books are also purchased. Held with the House library is the collection of books and periodicals relating to Eastern Orthodox Christianity belonging to the Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius. This contains much material that cannot be found elsewhere in Britain.
Tuesdays 2-4 p.m.; otherwise by appointment (see below).
Tel: 01865 513117
Inquire about the library
The House of St Gregory and St Macrina